Purpose of position:
This is a position for those with a passion for refugee and human rights issues. The Policy and Research intern will develop public policy and research expertise and provide a valuable contribution to Justice Centre’s clients and the Research, Policy and Advocacy team. We particularly encourage candidates from minority backgrounds to apply, including LGBT+ people, disabled people, ethnic minorities, and refugees.
Duration of position:
3 to 6 months, starting in February 2021. Ideally this is a full time position from Monday to Friday, but part time and flexible arrangements can be discussed.
- Prepare research on refugee and human rights issues as they apply to Hong Kong for use in Justice Centre’s policy work
- Prepare policy submissions to the Hong Kong Government, United Nations bodies and other relevant outlets
- Contribute to the development of Justice Centre’s policy monitoring and evaluation system
- Contribute to Justice Centre’s media work and external engagement activities
- Contribute to maintaining positive working relationships internally and externally, including with other NGO’s and the Hong Kong Government
- Contribute to the development of Justice Centre’s policy strategies
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Research and Policy Officer, Advocacy and Communications Officer or Executive Director
- Current students or graduates in arts, public policy or law; or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable passion and commitment to forced migration and human rights issues
- Fluency in written and verbal English
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Excellent organisational, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Written and verbal fluency in another language, such as Chinese (Cantonese), French, Arabic and Urdu, would be a considerable asset
- Experience in human rights policy, research or advocacy
- Experience working in an NGO environment
- Familiarity of working with vulnerable people
- Lived experience of seeking international (non-refoulement) protection in Hong Kong
The position is unpaid, but Justice Centre will reimburse travel and other essential related costs. Please e-mail your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘RPA Intern’.
Applications will close on 31 January 2021.