Purpose of position:
This is a position for those with a passion for refugee and migrant issues. The Policy and Research Intern will develop public policy and research expertise and provide a valuable contribution to Justice Centre’s clients and the Research, Policy and Advocacy team. We particularly encourage candidates from minority backgrounds to apply, including LGBT+ people, disabled people, ethnic minorities, and refugees.
Duration of position:
6 months from January 2023. Ideally this is a full time position from Monday to Friday, but part time and flexible arrangements can be discussed.
- Prepare research on refugee and migrant issues as they apply to Hong Kong for use in Justice Centre’s policy work
- Prepare policy submissions to the Hong Kong Government, Legislative Council and other relevant outlets
- Contribute to the development of Justice Centre’s policy monitoring and evaluation system
- Contribute to Justice Centre’s media work and external engagement activities
- Contribute to maintaining positive working relationships internally and externally, including with other NGOs and the Hong Kong Government
- Contribute to the development of Justice Centre’s policy strategies
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Advocacy and Communications Officer or Executive Director
- Current students or graduates in international relations, law, public policy or equivalent fields
- Demonstrable passion and commitment to forced migration issues
- Fluency in written and verbal English
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Excellent organisational, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Written and verbal fluency in another language, such as Chinese (Cantonese), French, Arabic and Urdu, would be a considerable asset
- Experience in rights-based research
- Experience working in an NGO environment
- Familiarity of working with vulnerable people
- Lived experience of seeking international (non-refoulement) protection in Hong Kong
The position is unpaid, but Justice Centre will reimburse travel and other essential related costs. Please e-mail your cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the subject line ‘RPA Intern’.
For candidates who cannot commit to this position full-time for 6 months, please specify your period of availability and expected weekly time commitment/work schedule.
Applications will close on 18 December (Sunday).
Unfortunately, due to the high level of interest in our organisation, we are only able to reply to shortlisted applicants. The information requested will be used only for the purpose of assessing your suitability for the role advertised.