Community Leadership Academy
As a community, for the community
Our Community Leadership Academy is co-designed and co-delivered by refugees, in collaboration with Humanity Seekers. Through the Academy, refugees become empowered leaders, creating positive social change – as a community, for the community.
Our 2023 programme theme is ‘Youth in Leadership’.
Are you a refugee or asylum seeker in Hong Kong between 15 to 25 years of age?
Do you want to make your voice heard?
Do you want to make Hong Kong a better place for the refugee and asylum seeker community?
Do you have time and skills that you want to share or learn?
This is a unique opportunity for young refugee leaders to use your voice, your ideas and your skills to make Hong Kong a better place for people seeking protection.
Here’s what you can expect from this 10-week ‘Community Leadership Academy’ traineeship programme!
- Learn about social justice and how to speak up.
- Develop leadership and organisational skills to be a changemaker.
- Understand how laws and policies are formed and take part in consultative processes.
- Work on creative ways to raise awareness and change public perceptions.
Gain more confidence speaking in public.
- Learn about how the media works and how to talk to journalists.
- Join a collaborative community and have fun working together.
We are looking for young people who are committed, focused on finding solutions with others and bringing positive change. Is that you? Here is what you need to know:
- Programme Dates: September 2 – November 11 (Saturdays only)
- Spaces are limited. Gender balance and geographic/ethnic diversity will be taken into account.
- Medium to advanced English is required (there is no need to be fluent).
- You must be between 15-25 years of age (signed parental consent will be required for under-18 year olds).
- You must be either a Recognised Refugee, USM Protection Claimant or Torture Claimant in Hong Kong.
- You must actively participate, be able to work in a group and have an interest in social justice and inclusion.
- You must attend a 3-hour session every Saturday for 10 weeks and you must come on time.
At the end of the traineeship, you will receive a certificate. An allowance and lunch are provided.