If you are afraid to go back to your home country because you might be killed, tortured or seriously harmed, or your human rights will be seriously restricted, you can apply for asylum. In Hong Kong, you can do this by making a non-refoulement claim under the Unified Screening Mechanism (USM). This app, jointly developed by Justice Centre Hong Kong and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, is a guide that will walk you through the USM process, including making a non-refoulement claim and appealing a negative decision.”
It will help you to:
- Understand what the USM process is;
- Understand whether you should apply or appeal a negative decision;
- Understand how to make an application and how to file an appeal; and
- Know which people to speak to and where you can find them.
The following new features are now available:
- The guide is now available in French, in addition to English.
- The scope of the guide has also been broadened to include information about appealing to the Torture Claims Appeal Board/Non-refoulement Claims Petition Office.
- The guide now incorporates a new ‘Contact Us’ function. This includes a simple electronic form users can complete to reach out to Justice Centre Hong Kong for more support.
The app is available on both
apple app store and google play store:
For any enquiries or feedback about the app, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Justice Centre Hong Kong is not a law firm and does not engage in the practice of law or provide legal advice or legal representation. All information, software, services and comments provided on this application are for informational and self-help purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice.