A freelance volunteer role; ~5-10 hours a week
- Provide high-quality translation from English to Chinese, or vice versa, to Justice Centre’s various communications products, including newsletters, social media posts, website contents, general information leaflets, event marketing materials, policy materials and reports;
- Proofread and polish materials written in both English and Chinese; and
- Such other tasks as assigned by the Communications Officer, when needed.
- Hold, or currently pursuing, a bachelor’s degree in English-Chinese translation;
- Enthusiasm for human rights and social equality;
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills for different audiences at different levels, and ability to explain complex issues in an appealing and concise way;
- Strong Cantonese verbal and written communication skills for different audiences at different levels, and ability to explain complex issues in an appealing and concise way;
- Ability to work independently;
- Demonstrable excellent organisational and communications skills;
- Cordiality and diplomacy; and
- Legal right to work in Hong Kong.
- High computer literacy.
- Interest in law, particularly human rights law and/or international law.
- Demonstrated communications skills in a wide variety of areas including digital, media, branding and marketing skills.
- Previous experience in human rights/non-profit work or in working with vulnerable groups.
- Fluency in another language such as French, Arabic, Somali, Urdu, Sinhala or Bangla would be a considerable asset.
This is a voluntary position, presenting an exciting opportunity to gain practical experience of translation work under close supervision, and with detailed training from our highly-qualified international staff lawyers and policymakers. It is a the chance to learn more about refugee issues, and to contribute to rewarding human rights work in Hong Kong.
To apply, please e-mail your CV, cover letter, and a work sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Volunteer Translator’ as soon as possible.