Life at JC
- Increasing well-being of refugees and torture survivors through access to services like health, housing, income support and education
- Facilitating a Women’s Group that celebrates the strength, resilience and courage of refugee women.
Life Pre JC
- Legal aid lawyer in the UK working on cases involving immigration, asylum and human rights.
- Last job was working at an NGO with foreign domestic workers on cases involving employment and human rights.
Life Outside JC
- I love getting out and about with my kids in nature, watching a great play, dance or music performance and curling up with a good book.
Raquel is a UK qualified lawyer with a background in immigration, asylum and human rights law. Eleven years ago, she co-founded Hong Kong Refugee Advice Centre (now Justice Centre) with Jennifer Stone, a Canadian lawyer, now based in Toronto. In the UK, Raquel worked for Wesley Gryk LLP, one of the UK’s leading immigration law firms.
Raquel has also worked at HELP, an NGO that assists foreign domestic workers on cases involving employment, immigration and human rights. Born in The Netherlands and raised in Curacao, New York and Hong Kong, Raquel is a dual Filipino and Dutch national. She is the proud mother of two children.