Today is 𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐃𝐚𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐥𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐑𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 #IDERD!
In these challenging times, Hong Kong must stand by refugees, asylum seekers, victims of human trafficking, migrant domestic workers, ethnic minorities and other marginalised communities against racism, prejudice, intolerance and xenophobia.
Justice Centre echoes the observations of the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CtteeERD), and urges the Hong Kong government to:
- Amend domestic laws to define and criminalise all forms of racial discrimination
- Adopt comprehensive anti-human trafficking laws to prohibit all forms of exploitation
- Adopt comprehensive refugee laws in conformity with the Refugee Convention
- Strengthen protection for migrant domestic workers, including repealing the “two-week” rule and the “live-in” rule
- Conduct comprehensive training programmes to combat racial discrimination for public officials
Let us celebrate solidarity and compassion on #IDERD!