Purpose of position:
The Legal Officer (LO) works under the supervision of the Head of Programmes and/or Legal Services Manager to ensure the highest standard of legal services are provided to our clients.
The LO is managed by and reports to the Head of Programmes and/or Legal Services Manager.
The responsibilities of the LO include:
- Contributing to direct delivery of legal services, including providing legal information and assistance to clients;
- Handling a caseload of Individual Assistance clients;
- Conducting screening assessments to determine scope of services for new clients;
- Supporting the Legal Team in developing the substance and quality of Justice Centre’s legal programme, including group and individual legal information and assistance services;
- Contributing to developing legal resources for staff, pro bono partners, clinic students, fellows and volunteers, including templates, training materials and legal information;
- Reviewing written legal work prepared by staff, pro bono partners, clinic students, fellows and volunteers, and provide detailed feedback and coach team members to continually improve the quality of work product;
- Providing support in the delivery of the Clinical Education programme where necessary
- Assist with the design, delivery and/or supervision of the legal team’s broader educational and technical assistance work, including delivering legal team trainings, internal training of staff and other trainings;
- Contributing to the support and development of relationships with existing and prospective pro bono partners;
- Contributing to proposals and reports to Board and donors, including annual reports;
- Contributing to building the profile of Justice Centre, including attending speaking engagements with stakeholders within the legal and donor community;
- Contributing to developing organizational strategy, networking with strategic partners, fundraising and whole-of-office initiatives;
- Support with the design and delivery of legal information and assistance to people in immigration detention; and/or
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Head of Programmes and/or Legal Services Manager, and other members of the Senior Management Team.
- Multicultural sensitivity and ability to work compassionately and effectively with people from different cultural backgrounds (and who are often vulnerable including those with mental health issues), and across the language barrier;
- Law degree or law conversion: LLB, JD, GDL;
- Excellent writing ability and communication skills;
- Demonstrable excellent organizational and communications skills;
- Ability to work independently whilst being a good team-player;
- Fluency in verbal and written English; and
- Legal right to work in Hong Kong.
- An understanding of the challenges faced by those seeking protection in Hong Kong.
- Prior experience of relevant legal casework;
- Prior experience and/or training on matters relating to migration and the international and/or domestic legal frameworks;
- Prior experience of case-management or equivalent data gathering systems.
- Prior experience of direct NGO service delivery;
- Understanding and experience of mental health and social welfare matters, and particularly those faced by people seeking international protection; Experience working with vulnerable people in a professional setting;
- Fluency in Cantonese; and
- Fluency in another language such as French, Arabic, Somali, Urdu, Hindi, Sinhala or Bengali would be a considerable asset.
This role is a part-time, preferably four-days-a-week role with a competitive salary range, commensurate with experience. This is complemented by generous employee benefits including MPF, medical and dental insurance, flexible working (where appropriate and following mutual agreement with direct supervisor) and generous annual leave.
The closing date for applications is 6pm on 28 February 2023. Please email the completed Application Form directly to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Legal Officer’.