Purpose of position
The Legal Intern is a position for those interested in learning more and getting hands on experience in supporting refugee, asylum seekers and other forced migrants in Hong Kong. It is a structured position for a minimum of 6-months with detailed training and supervision provided. Volunteers will legal and practical expertise and provide a valuable contribution to the Legal Services of Justice Centre Hong Kong, and to our clients.
Legal Interns will be engaged in supporting direct legal casework to our clients whilst under the supervision of a member of Justice Centre’s experienced legal team.
Duration of position
- Reviewing and actioning all incoming communications to the Legal Services team (WhatsApp, telephone, mail, fax, email, etc.);
- Respond promptly to any client enquiries (often highly vulnerable people), and also that of other visitors, agencies, etc. in a professional, sensitive and respectful manner;
- Support with the coordination of intake and referrals for new and existing clients;
- Confirm and arrange appointments with caseworkers, clients and interpreters, and create appointment reminders;
- Support in the coordination and assistance of client and stakeholder events;
- Contribute to developing and maintaining positive working relationships with NGOs, protection claimant communities and other stakeholders in relation to Justice Centre’s activities;
- Contribute to developing our internal library of legal information and processes;
- Support with community outreach initiatives;
- To attend all relevant staff meetings; and
- Other tasks as required for the support of the delivery of Justice Centre’s Legal Services, as requested by the Legal Services Manager.
- Undergraduate degree or comparable / relevant educational background, students currently pursuing their undergraduate degree are also welcome to apply;
- Excellent organisational and communication skills;
- Able to display cordiality and diplomacy;
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills;
- Multicultural sensitivity and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and across varying language barriers;
- Ability to work independently whilst being a team-player;
- Fluency in verbal and written English;
- A passion and commitment to providing legal information and support to refugees, asylum seekers and other forced migrants in Hong Kong; and
- Legal right to work / volunteer in Hong Kong.
- Literacy in Excel, basic data entry, Outlook and Clio;
- Fluency in Cantonese;
- Fluency in another language such as Arabic, Bengali, French, Sinhala, Somali, or Urdu, or would be a considerable asset; and
- Experience working with vulnerable people in a professional setting.
Applications will close on 1 September 2023 (Friday).
Please email the completed Justice Centre Hong Kong – Legal Intern – Application Form to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Legal Intern – Application”.
Unfortunately, due to the high level of interest in our organisation, we are only able to reply to shortlisted applicants. The information requested will be used only for the purpose of assessing your suitability for the role advertised.