The Community Outreach Officer is a new and exciting role within the organization, responsible for not only providing administrative, legal and coordination support to the Legal and Social Welfare Services of the organization, but for helping to further develop the organisation’s connections to the community it serves.
They would help both to deliver, design and develop our legal and social welfare information/assistance outreach work, and to ensure our services are provided in a way that remains responsive and cognizant of the needs of that community.
The Community Outreach Officer would be a member of the protection claimant community in Hong Kong, whose claim for protection has been substantiated and will therefore be eligible to apply for permission to work. They will be able to offer valuable insights from the lived experience of seeking protection in Hong Kong.
- To assist with the design, organisation and delivery of Intake/Information Sessions, Drop-In/Surgeries, Information Guides/Materials and outreach services relating to legal and/or social welfare issues;
- To establish, organise, and lead Justice Centre’s ‘Service User Groups’ for feedback and discussion, including for the purposes of the monitoring and evaluation of JCHK service/project delivery; but also relating to relevant policy/research issues;
- To assist in the design, organisation and delivery of relevant refugee/asylum seeking community initiatives, engaging the views of this community throughout JCHK’s work from the point of project design onwards;
- Coordinate and assist with community and stakeholder events including managing materials, guest lists, venues, catering, and post-event evaluations.
- To act as a public spokesperson for Justice Centre Hong Kong;
- To assist with awareness raising initiatives in relation to the experiences of the refugee/asylum seeking community in Hong Kong; • To assist with the delivery of Justice Centre’s various educational programs;
- Developing and maintaining positive working relationships with NGOs, diverse protection claimant communities (including ‘hard to reach’ groups), and other stakeholders in relation to Justice Centre’s activities;
- Contributing to developing organizational strategy, networking with strategic partners, fundraising and development, and whole-of-office initiatives as needed;
- Contributing to maintaining positive working relationships with the staff team and with HKSAR government, professional bodies, UNHCR, NGOs, and other stakeholders;
- To attend all relevant staff meetings; and
- Such other tasks as required for the support of the delivery of Justice Centre’s Services, as requested by the Head of Legal Services from time to time.
- Experience of seeking international (non-refoulement) protection in Hong Kong;
- Demonstrable excellent organizational and communications skills;
- Cordiality and Diplomacy;
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills;
- Multicultural sensitivity and ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds and across varying language barriers;
- Ability to work independently whilst being a good team-player;
- Literacy in Excel, basic data entry and Outlook;
- Fluency in verbal and written English; and
- Eligibility for legal right/permission to work in Hong Kong.
How to Apply
The full job descriptions and the application form are available here.
The closing date for applications is 6pm on 14th October.
Please email the completed application form to [email protected] with the subject line “Community Outreach Officer”.
Due to the high level of applications, we are only able to reply to shortlisted applicants. The information requested will be used only for the purpose of assessing your suitability for the role advertised.
Please note that if for any reason you are unable to print out/download these forms, please contact our office directly and we will provide you with relevant assistance so that you are able to apply.