Terms of Reference
Purpose of position:
The Justice Centre Fellow is a position created to develop public interest policy, advocacy and research capacity in Hong Kong, while contributing to the provision of Justice Centre’s pro bono partner programme.
Duration of position:
6 to 12 months, starting in July or August
The Justice Centre Fellow is directly managed by the Senior Policy Advisor for human resource matters and policy matters, with research tasks directly managed by Senior Research Officer.
- Prepare research on international human rights law issues as they apply to the Hong Kong context for the use in policy and advocacy work, with a particular focus on forced migrant rights issues;
- Prepare policy submissions to the Hong Kong Government, United Nations bodies and other relevant outlets;
- Contribute to the development of Justice Centre’s monitoring and evaluation system;
- Contribute to maintaining positive working relationships internally and externally, including with other NGO’s, the Hong Kong Government and consular representatives;
- Contribute to the development of Justice Centre’s policy and advocacy strategies;
- Prepare and deliver trainings to partner organisations, pro bono lawyers, and others as determined by the Senior Policy Advisor or Senior Research Officer;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Policy Advisor, Senior Research Officer or Executive Director.
- Recent arts, public policy or law graduate (BA, MPP, LLB, LLM, JD or GDLP);
- Demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- English fluency, written and verbal;
- A demonstrable passion and commitment to human rights.
- Experience in human rights policy, research or advocacy;
- Experience working in a corporate or an NGO environment;
- Familiarity of working with vulnerable people;
- Fluency in spoken and written Cantonese
The position is unpaid, and the successful candidate will bring his/her own funding from your university. Justice Centre will sponsor fellows for 6 to 12-month training visas.
Please e-mail your statement of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Justice Centre Fellow.’ Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.